Thursday, April 1, 2010

silver lake neighborhood wine tasting

Well, it was another fabulous tasting night for our wine group. Even missing four of our members we still got loud and louche at Luis and Sandy's house up on the Moreno Highlands area of Silver Lake. The theme was organic wines and it was a great variety of wines and the appetizers were amazing. I can take credit for making the pork buns. Based on an idea from Baohaus in NYC, I made up a recipe for making pork buns tasty and portable. Making the buns myself and braising the pork in ginger, garlic, etc.... I even pickled mustard greens to go inside for a nice tangy contrast. If the buns didn't take so long to make I'd definitely make them a part of an appetizer cooking class. Until then I'll add them to the catering menu.
My wine was the unfindable organic Nero d'Avola from Sicily. Vasari is a sustainable agricultural producer in the area and the wine is certified organic. I really like it and the Spanish Celeste red wine and the Neuvo Mundo from Chile. Richard Miyagawa is our excellent "social secretary" and his notes from the tasting speak better than anything I can put together so here it is:

No comments: